Skip the crowds and restrictions this year with a Greece holiday. Instead of busy European beaches and countryside villas, spend your vacation sailing the Greek Islands with a yacht charter. A sailboat rental is a perfect way to travel between the Mediterranean and Aegean Seas’ top spots. There are thousands of islands to choose from—here are a few you must add to your destination list.
Take a break from the bustle of the city in the peaceful Argo-Saronic islands. The Saronic Gulf’s quiet destination hugs the coastline between the Peloponnese, the port of Athens, and Piraeus. There’s plenty to do while island-hopping in the area, which comprises five islands, Aegina, Agkistri, Poros, Hydra, and Spetses.
- Splash around at Aegina’s shallow-water beach
- Spend a night on the town in Agkistri
- Bask in the sun on one of Poros many beaches
- Go back in time on the car-less island of Hydra
- Take in the historic military sites on Spetses
Sail into a marina on Thasos to experience the rich history during your Greece holiday. The island is family-friendly and full of picturesque mountain Villages. It also has plenty of gorgeous beaches to drop anchor and relax while taking in the spectacular views. If you have time, take a side trip to experience the Archangel Michael Monastery, a cliff-top convent on the southeast coast adorned with bright, Mediterranean flowers.
Another island sitting in the Aegean Sea, Santorini is an exciting Greek destination with tons of activities to keep everyone in your party busy. The Cyclades island has a unique landscape formed from a devastating volcanic eruption in the 16th century. A must stop is Kamari Beach, famous for its black volcanic sand with complimentary lounge chairs and umbrellas. Don’t skip the winery tours. Santorini is a premiere European wine destination.
The group of 15 large and over 150 smaller islands sitting in the Southeastern Aegean Sea has plenty of sites to see, including medieval castles, ancient archaeological sites, and amazing beaches. The islands sit between the Cyclades and Turkey’s Aegean Sea coastline.
Some of the top islands to sail to include Rhodes, Kos, Karpathos, Patmos, and Simi.
- Rent scuba gear and check out the many shipwrecks near the Mediterranean reef in Rhode’s Lindos Saint Paul’s Bay.
- Visit the ancient Greek sites on Kos, such as the Hellenistic Gymnasium and Asklepieion.
- Spend time on the dozens of sandy beaches on Karpathos, including several secluded ones.
- Check out the many religious sites on Patmos, including the pure white Monastery of Zoodochos Pighi and the Cave of Apocalpyse.
- Visit the Byzantine era wine presses discovered on the Island of Simi in 1992.
Setting up a yacht charter and sailing adventure is easy. The hardest part is deciding where to stop first. With so many places to explore, it may be hard to fit everything into one vacation. Contact us and start planning your Greece holiday today.